Team Blue taking a Breather....?

on Wednesday, April 4, 2007



Well...it had to happen, if not today then a few days later, after the official BCCI meeting - CHAPPEL HAS RESIGNED! And come to think of it, most are happy, actually I wonder who is not?

Shot sure Indian Team performance has been in a deplorable state for the past few years now. Looking at their performance profile, one sided-ly, I would blame Greg Chappel for it, for the simple reason that the players are still the same, not much has changed. Captain changed, well...we know why? Thanks to the Ganguly - Greg tiff!

No coach has ever so publicly insulted and spoken about the players and their performances. Was Chappel a good player? Undoubtedly! Did he prove to be a good coach? Certainly not. Leaders and Coaches have a responsibility of giving out the best and unfortunately Team India presented one of its worst (speaking expectantly, specially after their performance at the last WC). Greg Chappel managed to influence the Team quite negatively. It happened from the very beginning, from the very start - I lost faith in him , his coaching abilities from the very day I started reading about his dissatisfaction, unhappiness, relationships with all the players more, than his fresh ideas and plans for the already-one-of-the best cricket teams. He was media friendly but sadly it turned back into his face, giving him as well as the Team a bad image. Sachin Tendulkar, finally decided to come out and speak his mind, though this was not taken in very good taste by the BCCI and the BCCI Secretary went on to say that if he had any problems, he should have come in front of the board and expressed it. I will choose to refrain from comparing and questioning back the Secretary of similar thoughts whenever Chappel did the same, but..huh...anyway. Coming back to Chappel, I lost faith in him not just because he failed to hog the media light positively, but because he failed to influence and motivate his players positively. Like I said, he failed to fulfill his responsibilities entirely.


Sounding too harsh? Want me to be a little generous... well I must say that at least the India Cricket Team got better in its test matches. One days were 'sad'!! Truly speaking, the feat against Bermuda was no feat! Our team was capable of allot more, but the spirit, the want, aggression, the coaching and yes, the captain ship was piteous. I do not intend to blow off the Indian Cricket Team and its associates because they did not perform well. Every team has its 'bad days', but definitely not 'bad years'. ( I tried being generous)

Now, I wonder who will want to come and coach our team. Apart from the bad performance, the whole scene at BCCI, internal politics (which is everywhere but not brought out so openly), etc. does not sound very attractive to any ex - International Player. According to Jadeja, Coaches from overseas have not been of much help to our team in the International Cricket scene and that we should have our own senior players , Ganguly, Tendulkar or Dravid not only lead but one year or two years later when they decide to hang their boots, should go ahead and coach their own team with several new strategies, or as the blogger says, the Indian Cricket Team needs to concentrate more on home matches and gear themselves. Well...both sound amazing to me and if applied might just work, but the curiosity is rising in me and everybody else - Who is next? and also... What is next? Team India - full of surprises!!

27 comments:

Sauc said...

Hey I agree with u on Chapell issue. He did created a sense of insecurity in the team. Nobody knew what exactly his role in team was.
But Sachin clarified that he had done nothing like word-war against Chapell but it was and answer to a media question not directed to coach.
See this: http://www.cricketnext.com/videos/24190/we-are-sorry-sachin-tells-india.html

Ayesha said...

Hey your blogs are very nice. Now cricket has always sold in India irrespective of how the team performs. Yes, we are all angry and deeply hurt now, but by the time the next series comes, many things will be normal like before.

Now that Chappell is gone, who next?? Some seniors retiring, doesn't looks like......Blues will forever hunt the India team. Keep posting, i like your style.

The Unpaid Analyst said...

Everybody in India just loves to blame the white guy. Chappell like John wright before had to contend with demi god status of our cricket players...the top five guys consider themselves to be untouchable and Chappell changed all that. The bottom line is that in the indian team, noone plays for the country..everyone plays for themselves and for lucrative endorsements. The rot starts at the top..and thank u for blogrolling me..u have been blog rolled too

tyroblogworm said...

i'm sure bcci is very able enough to spring another surprise when it meets tomorrow n day after. the whole issue has been swollen beyond proportions. does anyone still remember that the world cup is not over yet and bob woolmer was murdered!

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

@ Saucy...That is called diplomacy my darling!

@ Ayesha...Thank you very much. Well as for everything settling down well by the next series, I am sure before that we will have seen a considerable change in the team and that the cricket frenzy Indians will light their hopeful lamps once again and expectantly watch the game.

@ Nikhil... I will agree as well as disagree with you. I loved Wright, I think he was an amzing coach and it was under his coaching that the Indian Team matured and played some of its best matches. Now, I will agree with you on the deviation of focus among the players....but why I blame the 'white guy' (mind you all ' I am not a Racist') the most is because he was the COACH!! THE LEADER!! He was responsible for not coaching them well enough. I can understand if one or two players are not playing well....but when a whole team and that to a strong team has a sudden downfall, we look into the unsuitable changes that were made. Thats one very strong reason why Wright was good, because what ever maybe the problems, ego clashes, etc. (if there were any), he handled them carefully and motivated the players to perform their best, which unfortunately Chappel was not able to do so!

@ tyro... Even I await the 'surprises' coming out of the meetings with BCCI. And do not worry, true cricket lovers must be enjoying the WC, which seems to be getting very exciting now, Woolmer is loosing media coverage gradually and im sure some intelligent people must be happily following UEFA!!

Sauc said...

@Nikhil and Zaidi
I think ppl of India have all right to blame "The white"(I hate Racists). You go and c EPL fights. The losing coach invites a press conference and the only words that stand out are SORRY, I LOST,....
That's coz when you take up the responsibility of team that by itself means that you are making promise to fans of clubs to make the team champion. I u fail means u broke the promise, the hopes that u carried.
And after doing all this to a billion ppl if u r seen in a press conference bouncing on reporters, then u r the one to be blamed!

Unknown said...

sigh..am not a cricket person..
however, I do feel that chapell resigning is a good thing? it is right???????

Dimple said...

phew thank god thr is some1 like me who is not a cricket person..(@hershly..seriously needed a company..;) )..but yaa chapell sucks!!

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

@ Saucy....Let us talk about indiviuals. Chappel is an indiviual and other'whites' too are indiviuals, so there is no way wer can compare them. Not everybody can be the best leader. Our country is put off with Chappel because this team represented our country and cricket is a religion in this country, which was not well handled by him. Simple and Straight!!

@ harshall...Yes it is, but I hate the latest speculations of him probably staying back... But I am glad about the changes made, partially... I like the Prasad and Robin Singh change.. :) Hope that will work!

@ Dimple... I am glad you found some company here.. :) And for your opinion about Chappel, I am sure you have found quite some company here (apart from the religious fanatics all over the country(read 'religion' as 'cricket))

Unknown said...

I really have no idea about cricket..don't even know everyone from our own team..
was reading this poll in the paper yesterday..apparently people are sad that chapell is leaving???

why can't the aged cricketers leave instead..ring in the new..I saw one or two matches before..those young new guys have potential...the one with the weird hairdo..and irfan pathan..get more like those..

Prince K. said...

Do you really think I am suffering a "teenage crisis"?
It's not just the memory of people. It's the memory of me. Just me. What I have done and what has happened. It's complicated enough. Self-discovery was never easy, now, was it. I agree that there were scars and people giving those scars. But then, this post and has veins in the discussion between me and the Lady {Aas, if you did not know.}

Prince K. said...

Yes. I can understand. But what really jarred me was that everyone takes my age into account.
"Tralalala you are six-teen go-ing on se-ven-teen, you have much to learn." etc. etc.
Maybe I'll get over it sooner. Thanks...

Amandeep Singh said...

Well India should really forbid playing ODIs for some time and really concentrate on home matches as ya pointed out....
Well they really sucked this time..:(
A nice blog u gat in here...

Sauc said...

Sorry Nab..
I dint meantersay all whites. I hav mentioned The white rather than The whites. I think thats not plural. Or if its grammatical error may b it is. But I never meantersay it!
And its the same reason fr which u hav very clearly stated that we blame him.
I hereby once again state that: Among things which I abhor is the thing called RACISM

D said...

Hi Nabila, I'm not a very analytical person. Just very instinctive. And though I don't follow cricket too closely now (since India started losing so often), I do think Chapell's game plan never worked for India. And I'm so glad he's gone...

There was this really basless theory doing the rounds recently that Greg being an Australian was on an undercover mission to destroy the Indian team, which he successfully did, because two years back when Greg took over as coach, the Indian team was the only one capable of giving Australians any competition on the field. Wonder how true it is!!

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

@ harshall...I so absolutely agree with you!! I wish somebody heard us!!

@ Prince...LOL...ask those people to get some life!! (weird pretentious mature brats!)

@ Standby...The new strict changes made by the BCCI may just bring some good changes in the team's performance as well. Lets see...Thanks, anyway!!

@ Saucy...I think you are slightly confused and are doing the same to me. I am blaming Chappel because he is a 'WHITE'???

@me...Oh yes, even I heard that. I too wonder if it is true, afterall he is a passionate player. It could be if he was passionate and loyal to the extent of destroying another team, but our players too have some responsibility...what about their efforts and enthusiasm? It maybe untrue too, maybe he is an excellent passionate player, looked promising but lacked the honest potential...Anyhow, whatsoever maybe the case and Chappel's purpose (nastily fulfilled or disastrously failed), he is gone and we need to simply wait and watch...what the next series hold for us!

anonymous said...

The most stupid and opinionated nonsense. How is chappell to blame if bastards like Tendulkar and Ganguly are slothful selfish idiots?
Your eyes are blinded. Stop writing about cricket and write about something you know.

Sauc said...

That means u r saying u hate whites...
Okey! if this isn't enough to clear the confusions, leave it yaar.
kuchh chize type kar ke type-ologically incomprehendable hoti hai....

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

@ chilledbeer ..... Well...maybe you need to understand the jist of the write up...I have not blamed Chappel entirely for the loss. I have questioned his leadership capabilities. And yes, your suggestions are welcome and I shall soon write something that I 'know more about'.

@ Saucy .... I will request you to please read the comments again, You will no my personal opnion on racism. Anyway, coming back to the post....yeah..lets please leave it now..!! :P

editor said...

آداب
بہت خوب عمدہ بلاگ ہے
خدا حافظ

Unknown said...

Good opinion piece and well supported applaud an d i agree wid ur comment nice blog

Prince K. said...

POST!
POST!
POST!
POST!

:P

Unknown said...

@ indscribe..Adab...Bahot Shukriya. Kuda Hafiz.

@protegeoflife...Thank you very much.

@ prince...Yes soon soon soon!! I have too many things on mind to write about, but have exams on, plus some work. Will write one very soon (just give me a day or two). Thanks!

Unknown said...

still on this post?
I thought you were updated frequently???
come on..something new..

Unknown said...

looks like you are taking a breather too....

Amandeep Singh said...

I am sure they will Win in Bangladesh..and there will applauses everywhere - Indian Revenge- India beat banga emphatically-- New Coach excellent - players best and ppl Happy..

I hope we all get over it now

Prince K. said...

No. I don't believe so. We can never ignore ourselves. For, if we do that, we will not be ourselves. If we ignore ourselves, our dreams are ignored, are impulses are ignored, and our very being is ignored...