Alls well that ends well...!

on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

As many hurdles you pass, the better results are received!! Personally, true, so far! The biggest hurdle (which I enjoy completely) for me is this stupid public transport thing! I love it for sure and find it more comfortable and convenient than a vehicle of your own, but it gets to me when I have to go places which are way too far, not that I mind it really. I enjoy my work, remember? :), yet..

Recently, I had to go and interview this elderly Doctor, all of 72 years old. I am telling you, as much as old people love to talk, they are as inspiring too! He stayed like in the outskirts of the city and my appointment with him was in early hours of the morning. The lazy sleepy ass that I am, it was going to be really tough for me. Outskirts! Early morning! Public Transport!! Haha Nabzy baby, you were in for a ball!! ;) Until my overly protective sister decided to be utterly sweet, compromise on her early morning sleep and drive me down. (Yay!! Problem solved!!) But, she does not stay here, she had no idea where I was taking her. Sultanpur Road! She said, "What? Where? There has to be an area name? Something! What Sultanpur Road?" We were half way to Sultanpur, when, thanks to the few landmarks the Doctor's wife had told me about could be seen on that 'country side road' which takes you straight to Sultanpur, we reached 'safe n sound'.

"Okay, Nabila! Make sure you do this quick, but what Doc. is he? Why do you have to interview him?" I really did not want to tell her, she would kill me. "He is a Vet." And just as I expected, "W-H-A-T!!?? Early in the morning, you make me drive to almost another district in the state, to interview a 'jaanvaron ka daaktar'." The huhs and ggggrrrrs... follow till date and shall continue all life. Memorable, you see! :)

So, now this guy, unlike how I had imagined him to be, looking weak, very smiley and slightly hunched back. Yes! I had not imagined him like this. Imagined him more like a fit, straight back, suited, serious man. He was a sweetheart and he actually took lesser time than I had imagined. Firstly, cause he is 72, the older people get, the more they love to talk, my grandpa was like that too. It is now, I feel sad for all the journos who came to my place to interview Dada. And oh, secondly cause what we were going to talk about was amazingly interesting (not for my sis definitely! She is not an animal lover!)

The year Dr. Narendra Deva Shrama retired, that very year he made the country's first ever Animal Crash. Cute, isnt it? He wanted to actually open a yoga training institute, since he was completely into yoga and all that, and there weren't many proper yoga institutes in Lucknow in 1995 too. Anyway, it so happened that a friend left a dog at his place and said "This is your first dog for the crash!", to whom he had mentioned about the animal crash plan (which he was not that serious about, then) . But there was no escaping that plan now, and then began his animal crash story. He told me that most dogs which came to him became so emotionally attached to him that they often forgot their original owners. Wow!! I would not want to leave my dogs with him!! But hai hai ye majboori... (I dont have a dog anyway... :'( or :D ... dunno... comfused..huh..anyway!!)

I knew he has been a Vet all his life, yet whenever people came to drop their dogs for a short while or long,how did he manage to befriend them? He said, he would study the dog's behavior in the first meeting and slowly make him comfortable. He insisted on analyzing the psychology of the animal! >>sigh<< I wanted to study Animal Psychology and take it up professionally, one day! :'(

And them my sis started to pull my kurta, showing signs of restlessness, boredom and hunger! A sweet interview it was! :)

So, the moral of the story is, that whenever I have traveled far for a story, it has always been very interesting and enticing. Like that Chhannilal story, I told you about in my 'Chai time Baqwas' post. That place was not too far, yet not too convenient either. And then this other coverage of a Special Children Olympics that was held here a few months back. That was a heart changing experience. Beautiful! Can not forget even a single moment spent there. I have been awe struck since then. Physically, mentally disabled children, running around, playing, racing, dancing, there was no negative competitive feeling anywhere to be seen or felt. It was like they were out in the open on that field just to enjoy their mental and physical freedom! They looked more free than most 'normal' people, free from grave matters that surround us, unnecessary stress that we take, free from all sorts of inhibitions and boundations! It was a feeling as if someone unlocked, unchained my tightly chained and locked heart, which started to breathe in the freedom and optimism they exuded! :)

This is the beauty of my profession. Inconvenience, deadlines, people hating you, people unnecessarily being nice to you too sometimes, too much of struggle, too less money, but it fulfills my desire to be a vagabond in minuscule ways. I get to see a world, know people, explore and expose myself to so much that I would not as a normal student. Just two years as a Freelancer in this field, still an undergraduate and I feel so nice about what I am doing. I feel like a changed person. I feel more liberated, more strong, and the independence part goes without mentioning. Though, I also get sick of it sometimes. Sometimes, I just do not want to write, sometimes I do not want to write 'about' a particular thing, sometimes I just get plain bored, but most of the time, I love it! The high that a byline gives you, is definitely better than any Adam (pun intended).

And, now I am hoping to see my self specialize from next year, if only things work in my favor. I just pray and wish, I really know what I want to specialize in! But, even if I don't, I'll be living the life of a gypsy, mentally. Living that gypsy dream of mine. :)

25 comments:

Deepz said...

nice post der..i like the way u concluded..some times even i had wondered in wat am specialized in..

Comfortably Numb said...

Nice post :)
Sultanpur road...that isnt too nice...

Anyway thanks for the lovely comment you left...And yea mom's day was the exact day to bring out the sensitivity in me :)

cheers!

Shakti said...

hey nice read..loved the last line of the seoncd last paragraph..
im in ways from lko too altho hav lived a life of a vagabond n still living... hv de pleasure of living in few best cities of india..and yes lko has been special in many ways..
i liked the idea of you loving ur profession most of the times too..guess thats wats imp..cz everyone has dere pangs of boredom...u need keep movin with between what u hav n what u want...cheers...keep writin..

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

@ Dragon... Dont u already specialize in throwing fire around? Like... no one else can do that... and also you are probably the only one of your kind, left in this world... ;)

Ok...on a serious note... seriously ya.. this whole specialization thing is quite an issue... isnt it?


@ Comfortably numb.... You familiar with Lucknow and Sultanpur Rd?


@ Dream Runner.... Thanks... Lucknow is a great city and I love it! :) Actually, my profession is what I always wanted to do...though of course I get my moments of boredom... but then they are just temporary moments na... ;)

Vinayak said...

nice post
the background of ur blog is good
keep blogging

Sreetama said...

Hi! This is a very nice & sweet post! Good to know that u r a journo! Even I want to be one! Nice blog! Keep up the good work! :)

Tina Angelin said...

thanks for d comment nabi...glad u liked it...comin to ur blog..i like the color...really soothing...
and i like this post..exceptionally gud...well written

Cheers
Tee

Deepz said...

sry for being late Nabila..You gotta nice lingua..

Dragons specialize in being loyal..dey keep the promise wat ever it may be..

I was too in Lucknow for some 3 yrs..we were in Lalbagh area then we moved inside Army cantt of Lucknow..Ya Lucknow is a very nice place to be in..

I adore your blog..Am adding it in my blog roll..I ld be glad to be a part of yours...

Keep blogging..

Unknown said...

I am from Bangalore and traffic is worse her.

Keshi said...

I love various cities but Im not sure if I can cope with the stress of travelling all the time for my job. Hence Im a boring IT consultant doing a desk job ;-)

Im happy for ya and u rock!


Keshi.

MeMyself_n_I said...

Wow you freelance? That is absolutely amazing! I would love to write. You sure as hell are living out my dream.
Go live out your gypsy dream girl.

Lena said...

**I feel so nice about what I am doing. I feel like a changed person. I feel more liberated, more strong, and the independence part goes without mentioning.

thats the most important thing - to get satisfaction from what we do, right? Rest does not matter if you love your job and enjoy things you do :)
Hope it will remain this way forever for you :)

Akansha Pradhan said...

hey nabila.. writing is a b'ful profession. n being an ex-journo myself, i cn tel u it is a high tht nuthin else cn evr give..

ps. is the animal crash u talking abt a creche?

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

@ Vinayak... Ty :)

@ Sreetama... Thanks ya... All d best to you too and may you become a successful and honest journo ;)

@ Tina... Thanks for visiting girl... Cheers! :)

@ Dragon... yyiipppeee!!! I got blogrolled!! yay!! that too by a 'loyal dragon'... do i expect some loyal blog visiting now?? ;)

@ Pratee... Never been to B'lore :(

@ Keshi... Whoa!! Boring IT consultant...!! :O U dont sound like one on ur blog ;)

@ Me myself and I.... Thanks :)

@ Lena.... Ahh.. yes totally!! Inner satisfaction and happiness is what we all want by the end of the day!! Thanks !!

@ Akansha... Totally ya!! well... yeah.. sort of... creche combined crash...

Dimple said...

nice post gal..u too lazy like me..i luvv that..:)))...

dharmabum said...

gypsy dream sounds interesting.

and so does the vet - i love old people. i have always had older friends - maybe cause in my heart i feel a dozen years or so older than i am :)

long time - good to see you back...

Aparajita Paul said...

Waah! This is a really "journalistic" post, I mean, not the usual "write-for-the-sake-of-writing" stuff. And, I honestly, appreciate this sort of writings. Wholesome stuff.

I'm sure it must be a tad boring interviewing a vet unless you too happen to be a animal-lover. Personally, I have never owned any pet, whatsoever, so I'd behave more or less like your sister :-)

And about journalism, I have high opinions. Something, I definitely respect and am fascinated with.

I also visited your other blog, Blank Noise, and trust me, I think that is a strong cause you are working for. Woman have long been suppresed and treated as doormats, it's time we should make a difference. I have written a thing on this topic too, which was published by a newspaper, I will give you the link if you are interested.

Keep blogging and enchanting. :)

Kenneth said...

Hey Nabila, nice to see u bk

Nice post, I have the deepest respect for journos, nd they allways seem to be "interesting"....hope u live ur gypsy dream for time immemorial...

Kenneth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Comfortably Numb said...

Ohh yeah very much familiar...I mean im in lko every other month :P And got a few relatives there..And yea its fun :P....And I guess uve been to Chappan Bhog...
:P

Cheers :)

my blog: www.cherryantacids.blogspot.com

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

@ Comfortably Numb... Nice... But hey... where does Chhappan Bhog come into the picture?? :O I LIVE in Lko... I ought to go to Chhappan Bhog for dabbas and dabbas of mithai on festivals!! lol.. U hav special liking for Chhappan Bhog?


@ Ken.... Thank you so much! :)

@ infektia... Thanks so much! And oh even I have not had a pet ever, but I love animals whatsoever! :D

Hey c'mon man... give me the link asap!! Would love to read it! Why dont you send me a mail and we could discuss the whole BLANK NOISE thing and you could involve yourself in it too if you are interested, that is... :)

@ dharmabum.... Wow! Thats really nice... I have heard everyone talking about the child in them but we all have an 'older' self too.. :)

@ Dimple... Yay!! Totally lazy ;)!

Amir Khan said...

ohhhhhhh you conveyed so many messages in one post... glad to hear that at least you know your direction.Very few people know what exactly their direction is ? what exactly they want to become ..
keep it up...

Dipti Malhotra said...

ohhh you're a hot shot journalist! awesome. lot of had work and lots of fun.. you're living your dream and that's FANTASSSTIC. keep it up.

i respect anyone who cares for animals.. .

hope you get at least a zillion by lines

Sidd said...

m sure it must have been some experience :)

workhard said...

Wow. u really write well girl..


Poetry directory